In his best-selling book entitled The End of Business as Usual, Brian Solis talked about the rapid emergence of ‘Social Customers’.
According to the author, social customers are fundamentally different from traditional customers. They place much greater emphasis on the shared experiences of those they trust on social networks rather than corporate driven brand messages. They expect brands to respond to their socialized questions. This will require businesses to rethink their traditional approach to sales, service, marketing and customer relationship management. ‘Being Social’, will become the new key to customer connection and success.
The ideas put forward in the book have been further developed in a more recent article by the author – Meet Generation C: The Connected Customer.
While the digital lifestyles of Gen Y (the first generation to have Grown Up Digital) are well know, Solis argues that use of technology is no longer an age thing. It is how people embrace technology, from social networks to smartphones to intelligent appliances, that defines the new Gen C – the Generation of Connected Customers.
The article presents some very interesting and comprehensive statistics about Gen C covering the following:
- Time spent on social network sites/blogs etc
- Use of mobile phones and tablets
- The extension of Gen C to every demographic group, including females and older people e.g. 72% of ‘baby bommers’ and 79% of Gen X are now active users of social network sites
- Cross platforms being used to engage, create, connect, consume, communicate and contribute e.g. PCs, tablets, smartphones, connected TVs etc
- Impact on customer decision-making and buying behaviour
We would encourage you to take a few minutes to read the full article here. It is a ‘must read’ for everyone interested in the revolutionary changes being brought about by social media and related technologies.
Are you ready for the connected customer revolution? How connected and social is your business?
As usual comments and feedback are very welcome.